The Montessori Center, a premier private Montessori school for children ages 3 years through sixth grade, was founded in 1990. The school offers a small, cozy educational setting where children are nurtured and encouraged to experience the joy of learning. Children have the opportunity to thrive academically while growing as a total person. Our school honors the unique qualities of each of our students and strives to help each child to develop to his or her fullest potential.
The Montessori Center offers a half-day early childhood program, an extended day program for children in our early childhood program, a half-day extended kindergarten program, and a full-day elementary program grades 1-6. The program times give parents flexibility to meet the family needs.
The multi-age class for early childhood is for 3 through 6 year-old children. The class size is around 24 children guided by a certified Montessori teacher who is also a licensed by the State of TN to teach kindergarten and one to two assistants. Kindergarten children are included in this group.
Elementary children, also in a multi-aged setting, will be guided by two certified Montessori teachers, one certified in gifted education and one with a Masters degree.
The student/adult ratio is 8/1 or lower.
The Montessori Center is affiliated with the American Montessori Society and is an Approved School under the Tennessee Department of Education.
The Montessori Center highly values the creative process and offers the following:
1. Piano lessons to second graders and older with time to practice embedded into their daily schedule
2. Orff music instruction to Kindergarten children and older generally once a week
3. Recorder lessons to fourth graders and older
4. Choir Club or Drama Club (an after school club: fee $50.00 for ten week session)
5. Dance Instruction (Folk Dances of various sorts and Creative Movement)
6. Visual Arts Creation Time through projects and practical life activities
7. Violin Lessons (additional fee is required for these lessons. Master violin instructor comes to the school. Children practice violin at home)
The school has a gardening program in the elementary school which helps the children become better stewards of the earth and develops the community spirit while learning science concepts.
Early childhood students enjoy planting activities both inside and in the outdoor raised bed garden.